Monday, March 26, 2012

Kindles for Kids & Anedra and the Fish Prince Fairy Tale

KINDLES FOR KIDS is asking for fairy tales to load onto kindles so hospitalized children will have something to read. I've wanted to contribute, but... well... who isn't busy? (Click here for more info on this worthy cause.)
I don't know if I'll make the deadline, but I thought I'd start a fairy tale here and see where it goes.
Ahem.
ANEDRA AND THE FISH PRINCE
Not so very long ago, a middle aged fisherman and his wife and daughter lived by a stream that tumbled into the sea. The fisherman was mild-mannered and steady in his work, his wife was diligent in keeping house and caring for her family, and the teenage daughter was remarkably beautiful and quite lazy. With her head of dark curls and blouse of scarlet, she'd usually leave her room in a mess and skip down the stairs to coax her mother for money so she could go to town and socialize and buy sweets.
Her mother, looking upon her only child's bright blue eyes, rosy cheeks, and endearing smile, would say, "Anedra, I cannot refuse you, but I do wish you would help me around the house."
"Later," Anedra said, her hand outstretched, her smile sparkling. "Thank you, Mama." She kissed her mother on the cheek and bounced out the door, giving her father an enthusiastic wave on her way to town.
Then one day, with her father out fishing as usual, Anedra came bouncing down the stairs. When she saw her mother's face, she stopped. The way the light came in through the small window showed lines on her mother's skin that Anedra hadn't noticed before. Shadows sat beneath her mother's eyes, and her mouth was drawn down until she looked 100 years old.
"Mama, are you all right?" Anedra asked, moving to her side.
Her mother looked up and tried to smile. "I don't feel well today, dear. That's all."
Anedra felt a wave of concern crash over her heart. For the first time, she thought about how her mother might feel. "What can I do to help you?" Anedra asked.
Her mother stared at her with concern in her eyes. She placed a hand on Anedra's forehead. "My daughter, are you well?"
Anedra laughed at her mother's expression. "I am doing better than you. Come over here and put your feet up. Let me make you something soothing to drink. Shall I wash the dishes for you? I think I can figure it out."
Although she walked like she was in a dream, Anedra's mother followed her daughter's instruction to sit on a chair and put her feet up. Then she watched her daughter bustle about the kitchen, wiping up spills, cleaning dishes, sweeping the floor. What had come over her daughter?
To Be Continued Next Week...

No comments:

Post a Comment